Friday, September 09, 2005

"I'll have a large Rwandan please"

My morning coffee for the past two days has been the Rwandan Cup of Hope from Second Cup. It's some new coffee they launched, and though no information is to be found on their website and I have been unable to find a press release on-line, in stores they are marketing as their part in helping to rejuvenate the Rwandan economy.

So without further information it is not really possible to tell whether this represents a new investment in Rwanda or if they are simply buying coffee from a previously existing Rwandan coffee market. Given the tone of the posters in the store and their 'Solid Grounds' program , I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the former. In which case, good for you Second Cup.

If it is the latter and they are just exploiting the memory of the genocide to sell coffee and improve their reputation as good global citizens, I will be nominating them for the "Paul Martin Award for Audacity in Using a Genocide to Your Advantage" and renouncing my 'Coffee Agent' certification.

No comments: