Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I'm Not Getting My Hopes Up

I have absolutely no faith that the Sudanese government plans to honour its promise to let a UN peacekeeping force into Darfur. But wouldn't it have been a great way to call their bluff to have had troops pledged for the mission even before they agreed to it? The world has been pressuring Sudan to allow the force for years now, and now the U.N. has to do the embarrassing scramble to find troops. It's as though it had all been carefully planned out to give Khartoum to find a reason to change their mind.

I'm not even going to comment on the confidential report that says the Sudanese government has been disguising military planes as U.N. planes and using them for bombardments of villages. We're talking about the same people who send militias to rape and murder little girls. It is no more and no less than what I would expect of them.

No comments: