Friday, July 28, 2006

Lemon in London

Having a great time in London. My hotel is in a lovely neighbourhood, but has perhaps the world's smallest elevator (it claims it accomodates 4 people -- maybe a woman and her 3 very small children), it's the one time in my life that I'm glad I'm not a tall person.

I spent most of my day yesterday just wandering the city and learning how to navigate the underground. It's always great being in a city where you take a wrong turn and there is still lots to see.

Last night I went to the National Theatre for Mike Leigh's play Two Thousand Years (a major part of the plot is a family -- a Mike Leigh family -- coming to terms with the fact that their son wants to become a practicing Jew .... I really do thank whoever it was who decided this play should be commissioned just because I was coming for a visit!).

I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the world, except the English are up in arms because everyone's gas bill is going up... and there was a power failure in the West End yesterday. This must be what it's like to be a regular person.

And now it's off to the Tate...

1 comment:

Martyloo said...

It's a small elevator because Europeans are actually elves, dwarves, leprechauns and gnomes (depending on the region).