Friday, July 28, 2006

Lemon in London

Having a great time in London. My hotel is in a lovely neighbourhood, but has perhaps the world's smallest elevator (it claims it accomodates 4 people -- maybe a woman and her 3 very small children), it's the one time in my life that I'm glad I'm not a tall person.

I spent most of my day yesterday just wandering the city and learning how to navigate the underground. It's always great being in a city where you take a wrong turn and there is still lots to see.

Last night I went to the National Theatre for Mike Leigh's play Two Thousand Years (a major part of the plot is a family -- a Mike Leigh family -- coming to terms with the fact that their son wants to become a practicing Jew .... I really do thank whoever it was who decided this play should be commissioned just because I was coming for a visit!).

I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the world, except the English are up in arms because everyone's gas bill is going up... and there was a power failure in the West End yesterday. This must be what it's like to be a regular person.

And now it's off to the Tate...

3 comments:

marty-loo said...

It's a small elevator because Europeans are actually elves, dwarves, leprechauns and gnomes (depending on the region).

Alex said...

I can't think of anything to say that doesn't sound completely bitter (and jealous).

It's hard not emailing you (and you've only been gone a day!). Especially when Lance outs himself.

Anyway, glad you're having a good time.

Sass said...

Lemon...Bitter Lime here. Missing you terribly - I too have no idea what is going on in the world as you are not around to tell me. The business partner wanted the Lebanon situation explained to her yesterday...did my best.

Small elevators are what makes Europe so quaint. If you think it's small now wait till you get on the actual continent.

Don't forget to watch Coronation Street while you're away and get us some new updates. Has your accent changed at all???