Friday, April 07, 2006

He's in

Michael Ignatieff has officially entered the race for Liberal leadership. I would like everyone to take a moment to imagine the reaction if someone who had been living in the United States until a few months ago announced that they were going to run for the Conservative leadership. The media would be acting like George W. Bush himself were coming to take over the party.

I will admit that I take this quite personally. I am a huge fan of Michael Ignatieff's work on international human rights, and to think that I spent so much time listening to a man who can see something worth saving in today's Liberal Party distresses me to no end. I always knew that we parted ways when it came to Canadian politics, but this is unforgivable.

In other Liberal news... Belinda announced yesterday that she would not be running. Apparently the process is set up in such a way that it would not be easy to buy the votes she needs. Losing the leadership bid for two different parties would just be embarrassing. Don't give in yet Belinda, there's always the NDP (and keep working on your french homework... Gilles has to step down eventually).

Of course, Belinda staying out of the race means that this whole thing just got a lot less entertaining. Which had to happen, following the rule that Canadian politics can't hold our interest for more than a week for fear that Canadians would actually get involved and want to talk about something other than healthcare.

1 comment:

Martyloo said...

I knew you'd post on this!

Lemon, he was and still is, as far as I know, the strongest Canadian voice in favor of Canadian involvement in Iraq...