Monday, November 14, 2005

You didn't win a majority!

The Liberals are rejecting opposition demands to call an election. Remember last year when we went to the polls and re-elected them? I seem to recall something about them not winning a majority of the votes. Now, my understanding of minority governments is that they have to rely on the support of the other parties to govern. Granted, I clearly lack some fundamental understanding of the Canadian political system because I have never felt compelled to vote Liberal, and I have to imagine that the people who continue to do so know something I don't. Otherwise I would have to believe that a majority of Canadians are stupid.

Supposedly 6/10 Canadians don't want a Christmas Election. I'm personally a little concerned that Canadians being asked this question are of the opinion that they're going to have to go to the polls on December 25th. Does it really matter when you go and vote? Just show up at the polling station, put a tick beside the name of your Liberal candidate (does not apply to those in Alberta and Quebec), go home and eat some leftover turkey. See how easy? Of course, 6/10 Canadians is about the number who don't vote in a given election anyway. Maybe it's just that they keep timing them wrong. They're all waiting for a February 29th election.

1 comment:

Bitter Lemon said...

I see the Bitter Lime (Orange, Grapefruit?) is jockeying for position of official guest blogger.