Thursday, November 24, 2005

Why didn't anybody tell me?

Lewis Lapham is stepping down as editor of Harpers!!! This was announced earlier this month and somehow I completely missed it. The man has held the job longer than I have been alive, so perhaps he was a little past due for stepping down. I was a subscriber for years until it became positively unreadable in the post-9/11 world (we get it, you hate Bush). See, I can read nutty left-wing, just not boring nutty left-wing.

Encyclopedia Hanasiana has some ideas about who might replace Lapham. One can only hope that they don't take up his suggestion of Thomas Frank, author of Why Won't The Little People Act Like I Want them To? What's the Matter with Kansas? If a magazine is going to be relevant in the 21st Century, it is probably best to avoid people who are still able to use the term 'class warfare' with a straight face.

No comments: