Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Lemon in Berlin: Day Two

When I said that the Neue Nationalgallerie was guaranteed to please, I assumed that they hadn't taken all the art out. When I arrived yesterday, I discovered that they had removed the regular collection to make way for a Berlin/Tokyo exhibit. Now called me paranoid, but when the Germans start taking art from the Wiemar period out of the galleries and instead start celebrating their relationship with Japan, I get worried. I gave the exhibit a miss (although I did briefly consider it, if only to discover how creepy guys in Berlin who claim to be fascinated with Japanese culture because they find the women hot differ from creepy guys in Toronto who claim to be fascinated with Japanese culture because they find the women hot).

I ended up taking a bus tour of the city, because I have now officially become that girl. It confirmed what I had already been thinking about the city: although there is a lot of beautiful architecture in Berlin, both old and new, it doesn't result in a beautiful city because everything is so spread out. You never really get a sense of neigbhourhood.

Although it gave me an opportunity to see the city, it seems riding around on an open topped bus all afternoon without a hat gave me a mild case of sunstroke. I was back in my hotel room by around 7 o'clock. Oh well, at least I got a good night's rest.

No comments: