Thursday, August 31, 2006

Do I get another wish?

I'm off to Miami this weekend and thus have spent much of the week on hurricane watch with my fingers crossed. Gaia has been kind to me, and Ernesto "Che" Tropical Depression did not ravage the Florida coast. And while I am thankful for that, there is one more favour I would like to ask: since we are all on Fidel death watch anyway, would it be too much to ask that he go to that great workers paradise in the sky this weekend?

We haven't had a good dictator death since Mobutu, and that was nearly a decade ago (unless you count Pol Pot, which I don't because it was shrouded in weirdness and I don't even remember where I was when I heard the news. Or Slobo, but the joy of his death was tainted by the sense that he had escaped justice). And while I will admit that I did a little jump for joy when I heard of the kleptocrat's death on the radio, the customer that I was serving at the time did not seem to share my enthusiasm and gave me a sort of concerned look.

But when the people of Miami hear the news of Fidel's death, there will be no worried looks, no concern for their barista's sanity; there will be jumping and there will be dancing in the streets. And I for one would like to be there to witness it.

No comments: