Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Cult of the New Yorker

I would like to start this post by saying that I love The New Yorker. Last weekend I sat down and read all the issues I had missed while I was away in Europe and it was perhaps the perfect way to spend a Saturday morning. It is true that I own the Complete New Yorker DVDs, and despite this I have been unable to get rid of my back issues (if anyone feels that they can give them a good home, please let me know, but recycling them feels like sacrilege).

Having said that, this strikes me as a little odd. Perhaps, I am wrong. Perhaps there is a huge market out there for an 80 GB portable hard drive that contains all the back issues of the New Yorker. It is true that switching back and forth between disks can be a little irritating if you are trying to read all of the articles by one particular author in one sitting (not that I would ever display that level of obsession).

But seriously, are there a lot of people out there who love the New Yorker that much, and who are also comfortable enough in their geekdom that are willing to spend $300 on the hard drive version rather than (or as well as!) less than $100 on the DVDs. And if so, who are they and why aren't we dating?

1 comment:

zoe p. said...

I'm not buying it. Not for a minute.