Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Give these murderous thugs the respect they deserve!

So, the first trials of Saddam's henchmen are set to begin shortly.
International legal experts are concerned that poor Chemical Ali isn't going to get a fair trial. Since anything short of bringing him to the point of death thousands of times before finally finishing him off by gassing him wouldn't be fair, I am inclined to agree. But it seems that is not what they mean.

Now I respect the fact that everyone has the right to representation, and that fair trials are a part of any free society, but aren't there better causes these great legal minds could be working on? Surely a human rights worker in Zimbabwe could be doing with some help right about now? I think the fact that Pinochet was only just indicted this week says something about letting the legal system take its course in these sort of situations.

And I know everyone is supposed to be equal under the law, but I have a bit of difficulty hearing people representing Saddam and his ilk talk about their clients getting justice. Because, I don't remember that being a concern of theirs when they were in power.

I do think it is important that these trials are taken seriously, and that the truth comes out, but for the sake of the Iraqi people, not for the sake of these criminals.

No comments: