Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Do they really think that they're that good?

So I can read the New York Times, the Times of London, the Washington Post and countless other newspapers on-line for free. There are a million other sources of news on-line. Yet both of Canada's national newspapers now charge for full on-line access. Is this working for them? Are people paying? For Leah MacLaren and Rebecca Eckler, for Heather Mallick and Anne Kingston. Really? Is this a trick? You deliver a paper to my house and I'll pay you for it. But on-line? That's what advertising is for. Every once in a while I want to hear a Canadian perspective on something (what? I do!), but frankly I remain unconvinced that it's worth paying for. And people, I subscribed to Harper's for five years, clearly I'm not that picky about how I spend my money!

No comments: